Child Welfare
WVA: General Meeting
6th September 2010
As the identified Child Welfare Officer (CWO) for the WVA I would like to remind clubs of the need for CRB checks that are required for all volunteers who work with under 18 year olds. I suggest that within your club you hold a list of names with the CRB number and date that can be updated and monitored as necessary. Would you also be able to let me know who your club CWO is if you have one! Remember, you don’t have to have a dedicated junior training session to have to be aware of child protection issues.
Step 1:            Each Club should identify a Child Welfare Officer (CWO). This could be any responsible adult /parent who is interested in making sure young people can play and train in a safe environment. The roles and responsibilities for this role are available via
Step 2:            The CWO will need to identify all the club members who work with young people and so will need a CRB check.  Each individual should then be issued with an Application form for Volleyball England Staff / Volunteers (CP1)  and Self Declaration form for Volleyball England Staff / Volunteers (CP2).  The application and self declaration forms need to be completed by the volunteer and returned to the CWO
Step 3:        The CWO follows up the references identified on CP1 by sending a copy of the Volleyball England Standard Reference Letter (CP3)Volleyball England Standard Reference Return (CP4).   and
Step 4:            The CWO will then provide the Volleyball England Office with a list of club volunteers who need a CRB check.  
Step 5:            Volleyball England will send a CRB application form to each individual.  Once completed the form and the identification papers will need to be returned to Volleyball England. Step 6:   The form will then be processed and sent to the CRB. The disclosure certificate will be sent directly to the applicant and a copy will be sent to Volleyball England for their records.
The Volleyball England Lead Officer will contact the Club CWO if there is any information on the disclosure that raises concerns. There is no cost to the individual seeking a check as long as their work with young people is in a voluntary capacity
*         The CWO responds to an alleged incident and Volleyball England outlines the reporting procedure to be followed (including using Child Protection Incident Report Form (CPIRF) ).
*         NB it is not your responsibility to investigate any allegation, only to report the concerns bought to your attention.
Volleyball England (VE) has developed an extensive welfare section on its website with lots of useful information and further contacts. or Responding & Reporting HELPLINE 0808 800 5000.  If you would like to talk to someone outside of your organisation you can also contact one of the following bodies:
Child Protection in Sport Unit (CPSU)
Jenny Boorman – CWO for the WVA
Posted in: WVA Documents

Post Rating


There are currently no comments, be the first to post one!

Post Comment

Only registered users may post comments.
Copyright 2008-2015 by Dynamisys Ltd