Held at Devizes, Hare and Hounds Public House

Wednesday 4th September 2013 at 19:00

1.      Present

Cliff Ball                      Chair                                                   Calne  

Paul Rainey                Secretary                                            Olympiad

Matthew Stevens        League Secretary                               Devizes

Irwin Aiken                  Beach Development                           R.W.Bassett

Serena Morten            Treasurer                                            Calne

Neil Bentley                 Competitions Secretary                      Calne

Su Brennand               Junior Development (Boys)                Melksham

Steve Grimes              NVL team                                            Devizes


2.    Apologies

Sarah Newstead         Ladies Development   Scribe              Devizes

Hans Kaashoek          NVL Team                                          Devizes

Jenny Boorman          Child Welfare Officer                          Calne

Kelly Jones                                                                             Swindon

David James                                                                           Erlestoke

John Postance                                                                        Salisbury

Jorg Steimer                                                                           R.W.Bassett

Richard Morten                                                                       Calne

James Morten             South-West Team                               Calne



Salisbury Volleyball Club

Erlestoke Volleyball Club


Cliff Ball welcomed everyone to the new season, from the chair.


3.      Minutes of Previous Meeting

a.      Everyone accepted the minutes as a true account of the previous Committee Meeting held on Wednesday 10th April 2013


4.      Matters Arising

From meeting 10/4/13

a.    Beach Development Officer was to look at insurance cover at events.  It was suggested that people sign a disclosure to say they play at own risk.

ACTION – IA to contact Volleyball England about insurance at events.

From AGM 12/6/13

b.    Cliff thanked those people that took on a position on the committee

c.    Child Welfare Officer required for each club with juniors.

ACTION – Jenny Boorman to collect CWO's names and contact details from each club.   

d.    Ladies Development (Sarah Newstead)

ACTION – Clubs that do not enter as a team, could the player contacts be provided to Sarah Newstead so that they can be informed directly for upcoming competitions.

e.    Kelly Jones declined the offer of taking up the Junior Boys Development Officer.  Anyone wanting to take on the role should contact someone on the committee.


Executive Officers Reports

5.      Treasurers Report.

a.    The current balance in the account is            £2865.15

Cash                                                    £74.62

Bank                                                    £2790.63                                

b.    Outstanding Outgoings:


Mavericks Affiliation

Rolls for meeting

Bill for room for the AGM

c.    Outstanding Incomings

£3.50 for 1 player registration


6.      Child Welfare Report.

a.    There have been no incidents to report regarding child safety since the previous meeting.

ACTION – Jenny Boorman to collect CWO's names and contact details from each club.   


7.      WVA League Report.

a.    All teams from last year have re-entered this year.  Wellington school requested entry into the league but have not sent in their registration.

b.    If teams wishing to enter the league (Wellington/ Trowbridge) have not sent in their registration by 9/9, they will not be able to enter the leagues this season.

c.    Fixtures will be out by 12/9.

d.    It was suggested that a date is set for the play offs and a cut off date for all fixtures to be played by.

e.    Fixtures to start at the end of September.

ACTION – Steve Grimes to look at using the South West Leagues format for their web league results entry system.

ACTION – Steve Grimes to discuss with Richard Morten and Richard Howells regarding using the South West Leagues format on the WVA website.


8.      Ladies and Juniors Report.

a.    Ladies and Juniors fixtures will come out at around the same time as the WVA mixed league fixtures.  Looking at playing the fixtures at Lavington School.


9.      Competitions Report.

Neil Bentley reported on behalf of Calne –

a.    Pre Season Tournament to be held 12/10 at Christie Miller Sports Hall from 10:00 - 16:30.

ACTION – Matt Stevens to provide club contacts to Neil Bentley.

b.    Dave Kinder Cup to have the final held 30/3 at Calne Leisure Centre.  Entry forms have not been sent out yet.

c.    End Of Season Tournament/ Presentation Evening has not been arranged yet.

d.    It was suggested that it may be worth booking the Christie Miller for the Pre Season Tournament for next year soon to get a date that is suitable.


Junior Development

10.   Junior Development Boys.

a.    No reports supplied.


11.   Junior Development Girls.

a.    Wiltshire played with 3 girls from Plymouth who had trained at Devizes.  A complaint was raised regarding the Plymouth players, which has subsequently been forwarded from the South West Association to Volleyball England.

b.    Matt has offered his resignation from the role of development officer and has said he will not be entering any teams in the National Cups but will still be doing training at Devizes.

c.    If anyone is interested to entering teams into the National Cup and co-ordinate general trainings, 3 - 4 coaches should be used.

ACTION – Cliff Ball to contact all clubs for continuation of junior training and tournament organisation.  Matt Stevens to provide club contacts to Neil Bentley.


12.   Junior Development Swindon.

a.    It was mentioned that Kelly Jones is no longer able to coach volleyball for her job and that the Swindon Club may fold.  If this were to happen, the balls supplied by the WVA should be returned to the WVA.


13.   Beach Development Report.

a.    The summer season was set out to promote pairs competitions.  There was a King and Queen of the court competition at Coate Water where 6 people turned up.

b.    3 pairs competitions were held over the summer.  1st event had 8/9 players, 2nd had 10 players and the 3rd had 25 players including 8 or so from Bristol/ Yeovil.  There were 4 courts and there was a separate ladies pool.

c.    The problem of running a league was the number of people playing changed too much to be able to say what position everyone came in.

d.    Planning to do another event 22/9 but unsure of the venue.

e.    Hoping to do more of the same next year!


Mavericks Men

14.   National League

a.    There are 11 players registered, of which 3 are setters and a couple of players are not from Wiltshire.

b.    Last year the team came 2nd with the last match being very tight (could have come 2nd - 5th in the league) and opted to stay in the same league.  If the team had gone up a division it would have change the number of fixtures from 3 home and 6 away to 9 home and 9 away!

c.    Everyone is enjoying the playing and the team has entered the league and the cup.

d.    There is a problem finding places to train.  There have been some ad hoc training sessions at weekends.

e.    It was asked if it would be willing for the Mavericks to train at other clubs during the season (maybe twice over the season)?  This would include the South West Mavericks players as well (11 players are interested).

15.   South West League

a.    James Morten is keen to keep on with the South West Team.


16.   Club Round Up

a.    Olympiad - Will put 1 team in the mixed league but are hoping to put a team in the Ladies and Juniors (may need a responsible adult to just oversee some of the juniors).  Played in the park over the whole summer and only missed 2 weeks.  Numbers are low, but should still be OK for the league.

b.    Devizes - Training starts 5/9 with most of the same faces as last year.  Match nights will be the same (Thursday).

c.    Wootton Bassett - Training started last week with a general session.  5 new players turned up; 2 Latvians , 2 outdoor players and a1 lady.  Have lost a few (due to work) but still 20 - 24 players.  Juniors and ladies train next week and have entered a ladies team in the South West and intend playing in the ladies and juniors.

d.    Calne - Training hasn't started yet (starts this Friday).  Have lost 1 player but should have similar numbers as last year, hence 3 teams.

e.    Melksham - Match nights changed to Tuesday.  First session was yesterday, but due to schools not being back, the numbers were light.  Only had 5 seniors due to work and holidays.  The club will not register a team with Volleyball England until it is known if the club has a full team.

f.     Salisbury - Entering 3 teams and playing matches on Sundays.

g.    Erlestoke - Have entered 1 team in the league but due to the nature of the club, the home and away fixtures will be played as a double header at Erlestoke.


17.   AOB

Cliff Ball - It was agreed that club non-attendance to the WVA meetings would be fined £10).  Salisbury and Erlestoke clubs to be fined.

Matt Stevens

·         Asked if the National League Bath Ladies could be registered under the Maverick umbrella.  Volleyball England have no issue but it was requested that the name be changed to Bath and Wiltshire Mavericks.  As the team is already in the fixtures this season as Bath, they are unable to change this season.  Training is at Bath but the matches are played in Lavington School.  There was a vote for attaching Bath to the Maverick and the majority voted in favour.

·         Was asked to send out attachment for player registrations with the draft fixtures.

Irwin Aiken

·         Mentioned that there is an unofficial pairs tournament played in Bristol over 2 days during the summer.

·         Asked if there was any funding for a coaching course - level 1 would be OK but would prefer level 2 e.g. £500 from WVA?

·         There is funding available for equipment and facilities.  £10k is available from Sport England.  The applicants would have to show there is regular training and competitions with at least 14 players.  It was asked if this could be done as an association.

ACTION – Irwin Aiken to pass on info regarding funding.



18.   Date of Next Meeting –Wednesday 4th December 2013

19.   Meeting closed 21:10

Posted in: WVA Documents

Post Rating


There are currently no comments, be the first to post one!

Post Comment

Only registered users may post comments.
Copyright 2008-2015 by Dynamisys Ltd